During the first 100 days of the Biden administration, the American Counseling Association (ACA) will be providing a quarterly member update on policy actions taken by the Biden Administration that are important to the counseling profession. Please note that ACA is a 501(c)(3) and does not endorse any elected official. We do, however, focus on the policy issues that affect our members and the clients our membership serves.
We have already reached the 25-day mark of the first 100 days of the Biden administration. During this period, this administration has taken immediate action on several national issues. The American Counseling Association appreciates the approach that this administration has taken and is hopeful that President Biden and his team will continue focusing on issues that are important to our nation’s mental health.
ACA applauds this administration on its approach regarding issues affecting our nation, including the COVID-19 pandemic, climate change, immigration and access to quality health care. On February 5, 2021, President Biden commented in an address to the House Democratic Leadership, “Just look at all the number of people who are needing and seeking mental health services now. Suicide is up.” Undoubtedly this administration is serious about approving policies that focus on the nations mental health crisis. We recognize that there is still work to be done by this Administration and we offer our expertise to President Biden and his administration.
Biden Administration actions that stand out during the first 25 days are:
- President Biden announces the American Rescue Plan:
- Expanding access to safe and reliable childcare and affordable healthcare and extending unemployment insurance.
- Committing to addressing health disparities and COVID-19.
- Providing schools the resources they need to reopen safely.
- Expand paid sick, family and medical leave.
- Address the growing hunger crisis in America, by increasing the investment to SNAP and WIC.
- Working to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour.
- Accepted the Paris Climate Agreement articles and clause, which protects our nation and the worlds environment.
- Issued an Executive Order on Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserves Communities.
- Issued an Executive Order on Protecting Public Health and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle the Climate Crisis.
- Issued an Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation.
- Issued an Executive Order on Strengthening Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act.
- Issued an Presidential Memorandum Condemning and Combating Racism, Xenophobia and Intolerance Against Asian American and Pacific Islanders in the United States.
- Issued an Executive Order on Revocation of Certain Executive Orders Concerning Federal Regulation.
- Issued an Executive Order on Establishing the White House Office of Faith Based and Neighborhood (Community) Partnerships
After the first 25 days, the American Counseling Association has witnessed an Administration that has a focus on mental health, our schools, the workforce and moving our country past COVID-19. ACA will continue to monitor the policy actions of this White House. We also look forward to working closely with this Administration on issues that are important to our membership.
If you would like to communicate your concerns to the White House, please follow this link. Also sign up for the American Counseling Association Action Alerts to stay involved and take actions on issues that support the counseling profession.