DAVID K. BROOKS, JR. DISTINGUISHED MENTOR AWARD
Background and Purpose
This award was created by the American Counseling Association Foundation and first presented in 1999 to honor David K. Brooks, Jr., a beloved colleague, teacher and friend to many in counseling. Mentoring was an integral facet of David’s professional life and his personal philosophy. He believed that he had advanced in his career as a result of wise and caring mentors, and so, as an educator, he actively reached out to help others in their professional work. The award recipient of the David K. Brooks, Jr. Distinguished Mentor Award will have demonstrated an enthusiasm and support for the unique educational experience of mentoring that David Brooks both enjoyed and created through his own career and friendships.
Deadline: Monday, Dec. 10, 2018, 11:59 PM EST
Judges: ACA Awards Committee
Prize: $500 honorarium, complimentary ACA Conference & Expo registration (travel and lodging not included). Recognition and presentation of the award at the Conference.
Sponsor: The American Counseling Association Foundation
Eligibility, Rules and Criteria
The American Counseling Association Foundation is especially interested in recognizing individuals who exemplify the broadest definition of mentoring. Examples can include sharing expertise with new members of the profession and providing academic, professional, personal or organizational support. The Foundation is emphatic in the desire to honor people representing the wide and rich diversity of the ACA membership.
The award should recognize someone who has:
- A demonstrated record of supporting and strengthening the counseling profession;
- A demonstrated record as a role model and mentor; and
- An established history of professional excellence whereby the individual has freely given of himself or herself to help others within our profession.
- Nominations must come from an ACA member.
- The awardee must be an ACA member.
- An individual can only be nominated for one award per year.
In your nomination submission, briefly:
- Describe the nominee’s experience(s) in support of the counseling profession; and
- Describe how mentoring has played a significant role in this person’s career and personal philosophy.
- Nominee Biography
- Nomination Letter
- Supporting Materials
- Maximum of two supporting letters
**NOTE: If this is the first time you have submitted a nomination, you must create an account. The email and password for the awards submission system may or may NOT be the same as your ACA website email and password. They are different systems, and are not linked.
Submissions must be received by Monday, Dec. 10, 2018, 11:59 PM EST.
Send questions about eligibility criteria or other parts of the application process HERE
Supported and sponsored by the American Counseling Association Foundation.