Arthur A. Hitchcock Distinguished Professional Service Award
The Arthur A. Hitchcock Distinguished Professional Service Award honors outstanding service by an ACA member at the local, state or national level in addressing the issues of the counseling profession and in stimulating future service to promote the well-being of the counseling profession.
2023 Arthur A. Hitchcock Distinguished Professional Service Award Recipient
Background and Purpose
For this award, service is defined as work done or duties performed primarily with the intent of benefiting or giving assistance to the profession without need for personal gain. The individual’s service must:
- Be of a nature that promotes the profession.
- Have widespread and general effects, rather than being limited in scope.
- Be concerned primarily with the counseling profession.
- Relate to the areas of interest of one or more ACA division or organizational affiliate.
January 31, 2023 | 11:59pm ET
Winners were notified the week of February 20, 2023
ACA Awards Committee
Complimentary registration for the 2023 ACA Conference and Expo (March 30-April 1, 2023), and recognition during event. Winners will receive further information at the time of award notification. Winner will receive further information at the time of award notification.
Sponsor: The American Counseling Association Foundation
Eligibility, Rules and Criteria
- Nominations must come from an ACA member.
- The awardee must be an ACA member.
- An individual can only be nominated for one award per year.
The total submission package for this award cannot exceed 16 pages in length. All nomination materials must be combined into one document (all formats accepted), with the nomination letter first.
Nomination letter: In the letter, identify the nominee and the specific award. Explain why you believe the nominee should receive the award by responding to the specific criteria outlined in the nomination guidelines. Keep in mind that the awards reviewers are relying on the information you provide to choose the most deserving recipient for the award. Please address each nomination guideline and make sure your nominee meets the award criteria and requirements. Brevity, clarity and specificity are most important here.
In your nomination letter, briefly:
- Describe some examples of the nominee’s service at local, state or national levels to promote the counseling profession and the effects of this service.
- Explain how these actions relate to areas of interest to the counseling profession in general or to one or more ACA divisions or organizational affiliates.
Supporting materials: Include a nominee biography and a maximum of two letters in support of the nomination from others familiar with the nominee and her or his accomplishments. If there are additional materials (news reports, journal articles, etc.) that you feel help support the nominee’s achievements, please include a copy of them. You may also include a copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae (CV) or resume of no more than four pages, highlighting the nominee’s relevant accomplishments, if available. Keep in mind that the total submission cannot exceed 16 pages in length.