These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting our Professional Development Center
Transcripts for select podcasts can be found here
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT067 - Counselors in Transition
Dr. Rebecca Daniel-Burke and Mr. John Duggan, M.A., NCC, LPC, LCPC
Podcast transcript available by clicking here.
Navigating professional transitions is an important concern for all counselors. In this podcast, Dr. Rebecca Daniel-Burke and Mr. John Duggan, M.A., NCC, LPC, LCPC take time to interview one another about “Counselors in Transition.” Rebecca will soon retire from the American Counseling Association and John will begin as Manager for Professional Development. Together, Rebecca and John talk about their experiences of transitioning as professionals. Whether you’re first becoming licensed and opening a private practice, or winding down a clinical practice, transitioning to a new setting and retirement — this conversation will cover many issues faced by counselors.
Rebecca and John discuss a couple of theories of transition that can help counselors in clinical work. For example, the Dutch anthropologist Arnold van Gennep (“Rites of Passage”, 1908) has influenced topics related to developmental, career, and grief counseling. Rebecca and John also talk about personal experiences which have impacted their professional work and self care strategies counselors can use during times of remarkable transition.
Rebecca Daniel-Burke and John Duggan discuss the following topics in this conversation:
- John introduces himself and describes his graduate training and professional experiences.
- Rebecca talks about her plan to retire.
- John discusses some practical issues on transitions and gives a brief synopsis a helpful concept from “Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes” (Bridges, William, 2004).
- Both Rebecca and John talk about their experiences of starting and closing private practices, negotiating career development issues, facing personal losses and embracing strategies for counselor self-care.
- Rebecca talks about the process of developing the podcast and webinar series for the American Counseling Association and she talks about her experience of leaving these programs and entrusting them to John.
- Rebecca talks about her admiration of counselors and reasons why supporting clinicians remains so important.
- Rebecca and John also discuss their hopes for ACA members and ways to further support issues related to member professional development.
Running time: 55 minutes