These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting: www.prolibraries.com/counseling
. Once you are on this page, click on “Online Courses”, and filter the search by clicking “Product Type” and selecting podcasts.
Transcripts for select podcasts can be found by clicking here
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT056 - Bipolar Resiliency Program
John P. Duggan NCC, LCPC, LPC
The speaker will describe different ways a mental health counselor can help clients with bipolar spectrum disorder. He will explore both individual and group models, treatment techniques, and the SMART model of psychoeducational techniques. Lastly he will discuss ways to help clients with treatment adherence.
John P. Duggan, MA, NCC, LCPC, LPC is a graduate of Marymount University in Arlington, VA with an MA in Counseling and of the Washington Theological Union in Washington, DC with an MA in Theology. He is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and a National Certified Counselor with a private practice in Silver Spring, Maryland. In addition to his clinical practice, John provides training and support to other counselors in areas of compliance, eCommunication and Telehealth, workflow management and private practice development.
Among other questions, Rebecca Daniel-Burke will ask:
- How did you get interested in helping clients with bipolar spectrum disorder?
- What are the most helpful treatment techniques for bipolar spectrum disorder?
- Tell us more about Interpersonal and Social Rhythms Therapy and the Barcelona Psychoeducational Model.
- Co-occurring / differential diagnoses and prognosis?
- I understand you've synthesized psychoeducational techniques to help clients with treatment adherence. Can you tell us a little more about that, and about SMART?
- S = Safety, Stress, Structure (weekends), Sleep, Substances, Season
- M = Medication
- A = Advanced Directive, Alternative Care (yoga, meditation, tai chi, massage, acupuncture, etc.) Careful about herbal and supplements.
- R = Recreation, Rest, Relationships
- T = Therapy