These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting: www.prolibraries.com/counseling
. Once you are on this page, click on “Online Courses”, and filter the search by clicking “Product Type” and selecting podcasts.
Transcripts for select podcasts can be found by clicking here
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT013 – Multiculturalism and Diversity, What is the Difference? Is not Counseling... Counseling? Why Does It Matter?
Dr. Courtland Lee
Speaker: DR. COURTLAND LEE received his PhD in counseling from Michigan State University. He is professor and director of the Counselor Education Department at the University of Maryland at College Park. His specialized areas of interest include multicultural counseling and men's issues in counseling. He has written numerous books and journal articles on multicultural counseling. Dr. Lee is past president of the American Counseling Association and the Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development.
Among other things, Rebecca Daniel-Burke asks the following questions:
- What is the difference between the terms "multiculturalism" and "diversity?"
- Why is it so important to emphasize cultural differences in counseling? Isn't counseling…counseling?
- The term "cultural competency" is widely discussed in the multicultural literature. What is it and why is it important?
- Can counselors from one cultural group really hope to be effective with clients from another cultural group?
- Where do you see the discipline of multicultural counseling headed in the next decade?
Running time: 52:51
Date Recorded: 10/27/09
Find on iTunes
To write the speaker: firstname.lastname@example.org
To write the host: RDanielBurke@counseling.org
Books by Courtland Lee:
Multicultural Issues in Counseling, 3rd Edition
Counseling for Social Justice, Second Edition