These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting our Professional Development Center
Transcripts for select podcasts can be found here
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT038 - William Glasser: A Retrospective and Why His Groundbreaking Work Will Continue to Matter in Professional Counseling
Dr. Robert E. Wubbolding
Dr. Robert Wubbolding, in this candid conversation, discusses his friendship and professional relationship with Dr. William Glasser . Dr. Glasser, the founder of Reality Therapy and Choice Theory, died just a few days ago. In this retrospective Dr. Wubbolding discusses Glasser’s evolution from an undergraduate engineering student to a renowned psychiatrist and counselor. This account of Dr. Glassers work is peppered with interesting personal stories of a lasting friendship.
Rebecca Daniel-Burke asks the following questions:
- Tell us a little about Dr. Glasser's origins: where he was born or any other personal facts that you'd like to share.
- What led him to become a psychiatrist?
- Where did his early training in psychiatry take place?
- Why have you described his early work as "ground-breaking"?
- How were his ideas accepted in the professions when he first developed them?
- How have Glasser and others developed and extended choice theory and reality therapy?
- Glasser emphasizes the principle that human beings choose their behavior. Please explain this principle in more detail.
- How do his ideas fit with the current emphasis on diagnosis and drug therapy?
- Have his ideas been validated by research studies?
- How will his ideas continue to matter in the counseling profession?
- The American Counseling Association has over 53,000 members, most of whom are clinicians. Is there something I have not asked you that you want our members to know?
Running Time: 57:27
Robert E. Wubbolding
, EdD, teacher, author, and practitioner of Reality Therapy, teaches Choice Theory and Reality Therapy in the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. His contributions to the theory and practice include the ideas of Positive Symptoms, The Cycle of Counseling, Five Levels of Commitment,
and others. He has also expanded significantly the Procedure of Evaluation
. He has written over 140 articles, essays, and chapters in textbooks as well as 11 books and published many DVDs on Reality Therapy including the widely acclaimed books Reality Therapy for the 21st Century,
and A Set of Directions for Putting and Keeping Yourself Together
and Reality Therapy: Theories of Psychotherapies Series
, published by American Psychological Association, 2011. His busy professional life includes director of the Center for Reality Therapy, Professor Emeritus at Xavier University in Cincinnati Ohio, and Senior Faculty for The William Glasser Institute. Personally appointed by Dr. Glasser to be the first Director of Training for the Institute. In this position he coordinated and monitored the Certification, Supervisor, and Instructor Training programs (1988-2011). Dr. Wubbo9lding is a long time member of the American Counseling Association.
Find on iTunes