These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting our Professional Development Center
Transcripts for select podcasts can be found here
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT032 – DSM-5 Diagnosis Drill Down
Dr. Jason King
Speaker: Jason H. King, PhD, LPC, CCMHC, ACS is Core Faculty in the M.S. Mental Health Counseling program at Walden University. He holds a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision from Capella University, a Master of Counseling in Mental Health Counseling from the University of Phoenix, and a Bachelor of Science in Human Development and Family Studies from the University of Utah. He is a Clinical Mental Health Counselor, an Approved Clinical Supervisor, and a Certified Advanced Facilitator. Dr. King is state licensed and national board certified. He is the Governor appointed Chair of the Utah licensure board for Clinical Mental Health Counselors and served as DSM-5 Revision Task Force committee member for AMHCA and ACA. He owns and directs a successful community mental health and substance abuse clinic (www.lecutah.com) that participated in the clinical field trials for the DSM 5. Dr. King received the 2011 ACES Outstanding Graduate Student Leadership Award and the 2012 AMHCA Mental Health Counselor of the Year Award.
Among other things, Rebecca Daniel-Burke asks:
- Tell us briefly about the APA’s rationale for revising the DSM.
- What changes occurred with ADHD and Pervasive Developmental Disorders?
- Describe for us the changed criteria for psychotic disorders.
- How will the DSM 5 describe mood disorders?
- What changes will we see with anxiety and trauma-related disorders?
- How will the DSM 5 help counselors diagnose personality disorders?
- Are there changes to substance-related disorders; if so what are they?
- How will the DSM 5 address cultural aspects in our clients?
- What do you see are the overall strengths and limitations to the DSM 5?
Running Time: 52:30
Date Recorded: 2/4/13
Find on iTunes