These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting our Professional Development Center
Transcripts for select podcasts can be found here
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT028 – Gestalt Therapy
Dr. Jon Frew
Speaker: Jon Frew, Ph.D., ABPP, is in private practice in Vancouver, Washington, and is a Professor at Pacific University School of Professional Psychology. He completed the three-year Post Graduate Training Program at the Gestalt Institute of Cleveland in 1981. He has conducted workshops and led training groups in the United States, Canada, and Australia. He is the author of numerous articles on Gestalt therapy, theory, and practice, and is on the editorial board of the journal Gestalt Review.
Among other things, Rebecca Daniel-Burke asks the following questions:
- Is there a story about how you became a Gestalt therapist? What excites you about Gestalt therapy at this point in your career?
- When and how did Gestalt therapy get started and how has it evolved since then?
- What are some of the fundamental concepts central to Gestalt therapy that distinguish it from other counseling orientations?
- Are there other key elements that define the theory and practice?
- I have not heard anything about techniques such as the "hot seat," "two chair work" or slogans like "get out of your head" or "you do your thing, I'll do mine."
- Gestalt therapy is also known for its emphasis on the present, the "here and now." Do gestalt therapists attend to the past?
- How important is the client-counselor relationship in Gestalt therapy?
- The clients of the 2010s are different from those of the 1940s and 1950s when Gestalt therapy originated. Can gestalt therapy be effective with clients in our increasingly diverse world?
- Do Gestalt therapists do research to evaluate the effectiveness of the approach?
- Where can our listeners learn more about training opportunities and Gestalt therapy resources?
Running time: 54:45
Date Recorded: 01/24/2012
Email speaker Dr. Jon Frew at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email host Rebecca Daniel-Burke at RDanielBurke@counseling.org
The Association for the Advancement of Gestalt Therapy www.aagt.com
The Gestalt Review www.gestaltreview.com
The British Gestalt Journal www.britishgestaltjournal.com
The International Gestalt Journal www.igjournal.org
Dr. Frew co-directs the Gestalt Therapy Training Center Northwest at www.gttcnw.org
Look for the book Contemporary Psychotherapies for a Diverse World co-edited by Jon Frew and Michael Spiegler coming out in February.