CLOSED - The Call for Proposals for the 2020 Conference & Expo is closed. Submissions for the 2021 Conference & Expo will open in May 2020.
2020 Proposals Submission Timeline
April 1, 2019: Proposal Submission Opened
June 5, 2019, 5: 00 pm ET: Proposal Submission Closed
September 4, 2019: Proposal Results Emailed
October 30, 2019: Scheduling Notices Emailed
December 20, 2019: Conference Session Presenter Registration Deadline
ACA relies on professional counselors and others working in mental health to submit advanced program and speaker suggestions in all topic areas and session formats. All proposals must be submitted during the submission timeline. Class sizes for Education Sessions are based on room capacity. See additional information and submission tips below.
Conference Sessions April 17-19, 2020
The following session formats make up the core conference sessions:
• 90-Minute Education Sessions
• 60-Minute Education Sessions
• 60-Minute Clinical Education Sessions
• 30-Minute Client-Focused Research Education Sessions
• 60-Minute Roundtable Sessions
• 30-Minute Poster Sessions
Technical support from Mira Smart Conference is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm CST at 1-866-341-9589 or via email.
For questions regarding the proposal process of a non-technical nature, please contact Crystal Turner at 800-347-6647 x229 or via email.
Information & Tips
• The primary presenter must be an ACA member in good standing
• The primary presenter is the contact person and is responsible for notifying all other presenters of acceptance, scheduling, and any other information provided by ACA
• A presenter (primary or co-presenter) may be listed on no more than two accepted Conference sessions (excludes invited sessions)
• Presenters must be available to present any time during the conference (April 17-19, 2020)
• All presenters must register for conference by December 20, 2019
How many times is the same presentation offered?
Each Session is presented one time during the Conference.
• Attendees have many programs to select from and often choose those that have well written descriptions
• Attendees desire brief reviews of research that support the concepts presented
• Prepare your proposal in a word document, and use the grammar/spell check before copying and pasting into the online form
• ACA is seeking advanced programs that provide in-depth knowledge or skills beyond the introductory or basic level
• Save and print a copy of your submission for your reference and records
Grounds for Disqualification:
• Do not submit the same proposal under different formats (i.e. submission as a 60-minute session and the same as a 30-minute poster session)
• Do not use presenter name(s) or identifying information, except under the presenter contact information section(s)
How will my proposal be reviewed?
• Proposals are blind reviewed
• A committee of professional counselors representing all divisions, organizational affiliates, and regions will review proposals
• Proposals will be rated using the below rubric and criteria
1 = Very Poor, 2 = Poor, 4 = Fair, 6 = Good, 8 = Very Good, 10 = Outstanding
Proposal Review Criteria
1. Organization and clarity
2. Relevance to professional counselors
3. Appropriateness of rationale
4. Clearly stated and appropriate learning objectives
5. Well-developed presentation to assure accomplishment of objectives
6. Consideration of Cultural Diversity and Ethics
7. Innovative and cutting edge or proven and effective evidence-based practices
8. Substantive content to be covered in presentation