Background and Purpose
The Thomas J. Sweeney Award for Visionary Leadership and Advocacy is given in honor of the lifetime contributions of Dr. Sweeney to the counseling profession. This award of $500 is presented to a professional counselor or counselor educator in recognition of career contributions to the counseling profession through leadership and advocacy.
Thomas J. Sweeney is a visionary leader who served as ACA president and president of two divisions (ACES and IAMFC, for which he served as founding president). He also served on the executive board of two additional divisions, and as chair of the CACREP Board of Directors. He established Chi Sigma Iota (CSI), the Counseling Honor Society International. He was a branch officer and Southern Region Chair. His professional career as a counselor, counselor educator, and CSI Executive Director was dedicated to promoting excellence within the counseling profession.
Criteria and Requirements
To be eligible, the nominee must:
- Be a professional member of the American Counseling Association at the time of the nomination.
- Be a member of at least one ACA Division at the time of the nomination.
- Be an active member of Chi Sigma Iota at the time of the nomination.
- Demonstrate a strong identity as a professional counselor, as evidenced by a terminal degree in counseling, preferably from a CACREP-accredited program and appropriate credentials (e.g., LPC, NCC).
- Have demonstrated through independent work a career commitment of at least 20 years to issues of professional leadership and advocacy to promote the profession of counseling. Such advocacy work may occur at the national, regional, and/or state/local level.
Nominees will be evaluated on the basis of their overall body of work in support of the counseling profession.
In your nomination submission:
- Include a two-page summary that provides documentation of the nominee’s sustained leadership and advocacy work. Describe the impact these activities have had on the counseling profession.
- Nominee Biography
- Nomination Letter
- Supporting Materials
- Maximum of two supporting letters
Submit your nomination(s) online by Nov. 12, 2017.
Create a new log in and submit your nomination(s).
Thomas J. Sweeney Award for Visionary Leadership and Advocacy Award Instructions (PDF)
National Awards General Instructions (PDF)