Background and Purpose
Dr. and Mrs. E.G. Williamson established the Ralph F. Berdie Memorial Research Award as a memorial to their daughter, Janice Marie. The award is named for Dr. Berdie in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the profession of student affairs through leadership and sound research. The purpose of the award, which includes a grant of up to $300, is to encourage and provide support for research in the area of college student affairs or related areas of counseling and education. Research projects are not limited to statistical and experimental projects, and may include conceptual, historical, and philosophical explorations and comparative appraisals.
Innovative and creative ideas potentially affecting directional changes in the field of counseling and college student personnel work shall receive primary consideration. Projects that relate to populations that might be served by college services may be considered.
Criteria and Requirements
The research project must:
- Answer questions and investigate ideas that are concerned with problems of interest and significance to college student affairs work and related phases of educational counseling.
- Address areas of interest to one or more of the ACA divisions and organizational affiliates.
- Be designed to generate findings applicable beyond the immediate setting.
- Make efficient and effective use of available funds.
- Have the potential to gain additional funding for longer-term research, if warranted.
In your nomination submission, briefly:
- Describe the nature of the research and clearly state the hypothesis/hypotheses to be examined.
- Explain why the research is of interest and importance to the counseling profession.
- Describe the procedure and general design of the proposed study.
- Itemize the funds that are needed to conduct the research.
- Describe how additional funds will be obtained to support further exploration of the hypothesis/hypotheses, if warranted.
- Nominee Biography
- Nomination Letter
- Supporting Materials
- Maximum of two supporting letters
- Research overview
Submit your nomination(s) online by Nov. 12, 2017.
Create a new log in and submit your nomination(s).
Ralph F. Berdie Memorial Research Award Instructions (PDF)
National Awards General Instructions (PDF)