Background and Purpose
The ACA State Branch Advocacy Award recognizes a state counseling organization for excellence in legislative advocacy efforts. While in some cases legislative accomplishments of importance to the counseling profession at the state and local level are primarily the work of one or more individual counselors, a coordinated effort on the part of the state counseling organization is more likely to lead to success. Effective state counseling organization legislative efforts require collaboration, energy, and cooperation of the organization’s leaders and members. The ACA State Branch Advocacy Award was established to help recognize and encourage such collective efforts on the part of a state organization. Nominations for this award will be assessed by members of the ACA Public Policy & Legislation Committee.
Criteria and Requirements
- Nominations must come from an ACA member.
- The awardee must be a state counseling organization.
- Self-nominations are welcome.
- Award recipients must have engaged in a concerted activity aimed at achieving a specific legislative, regulatory, or organizational goal. Although actual legislative accomplishments are particularly worthy of recognition, an even greater emphasis will be placed on the effective, collaborative, and productive efforts of a state organization’s team of leaders and members working on a specific task or objective.
Submit a nomination of not more than three pages in length (additional appendices and exhibits are welcome). In the nomination, briefly describe the legislative program(s), activities, or accomplishments that qualify the organization for this award and the effects that these had on counselors and their clients in the state. The nomination should describe the various state organization office members and other leaders and members involved in the effort. Please identify a contact person and contact information for the organization.
- Nominee Biography
- Nomination Letter
- Supporting Materials
- Maximum of two supporting letters
Submit your nomination(s) online by Nov. 12, 2017.
Create a new log in and submit your nomination(s).
ACA State Branch Advocacy Award Instructions (PDF)
National Awards General Instructions (PDF)