Background and Purpose
The Professional Development Award recognizes an ACA member who has developed techniques and systems that have strengthened, expanded, enhanced, improved, and/or otherwise had demonstrable benefits to clients. The award includes an honorarium of $300.
Criteria and Requirements
The individual must have engaged in a history of professional development efforts that have:
- Been concerned primarily with the profession in general, while recognizing that a discrete component of the profession may be a focus.
- Strengthened, expanded, enhanced, improved, or extended the horizons of the profession, such as by broadening applications of, and opportunities for, the profession; influencing other professions; identifying needs of the public and providing services to meet these needs; or enlarging the potential clientele for the delivery of services by the profession.
- Included substantive work beyond the call of duty to improve professional practices and demonstrate diligence, skill, and effectiveness in applying principles and concepts to achieve professional goals. These efforts may include the following:
- the development of methods, techniques, materials, books and/or models;
- exceptional efforts to obtain support for the profession;
- sustained efforts in professional education through providing training, workshops, supervision, or teaching for counselors or counselors in training;
- efforts to create and improve opportunities for all individuals to realize their full potential, as evidenced by work performed in professional organizations, work that has affected the lives and careers of many, or other activities that demonstrate sensitivity to the problem in general of human growth and development and relate to improving the interaction of people with their environment.
In your nomination submission, briefly:
- Describe the nominee’s contributions to the intentional strengthening, expansion, improvement, enhancement, or extension of the profession.
- Describe the nominee’s history of substantive, sustained work beyond the call of duty to improve professional practices or achieve professional growth.
- Describe the nominee’s history of extensive effort to create and improve opportunities for all individuals to realize their full potential.
- Nominee Biography
- Nomination Letter
- Supporting Materials
- Maximum of two supporting letters
Submit your nomination(s) online by Nov. 12, 2017.
Create a new log in and submit your nomination(s).
ACA Professional Development Award Instructions (PDF)
National Awards General Instructions (PDF)