What is ACA of Iowa?
ACA of Iowa is a not-for-profit grassroots organization that represents professional counselors and counseling students of all specialty areas who live or work in the state of Iowa. As a branch of the ACA, we extend the efforts of growing and enhancing the counseling profession at the state level. Explore the links to the left to learn more about our organization, our leaders, and how YOU can get connected!
ACA of Iowa board members are elected by ACA of Iowa members for one- and two-year terms. Member input during the nomination and election process is encouraged and appreciated. Please review our policy and procedure manual for more information. If you are interested in obtaining a leadership position or participating in other leadership opportunities, contact Anna Zuidema, the ACA of Iowa president.
What does ACA of Iowa do?
As a branch of the American Counseling Association, the ACA of Iowa mission echoes that of the American Counseling Association: "to enhance the quality of life in society by promoting the development of professional counselors, advancing the counseling profession and using the profession and practice of counseling to promote respect for human dignity and diversity."
We work to provide ACA of Iowa members with exciting networking and professional development opportunities. These include:
- Access to ACA of Iowa Connect exclusively for ACA of Iowa members. ACA Connect is an online forum that allows you to participate in discussions and to share resources with counseling professionals in your state.
- Professional development events (dates and topics TBD).
- Free Continuing Education (CE) opportunities (TBA).
- Participation in the ACA of Iowa Graduate Student Committee.
- Social networking events to help you connect with fellow ACA of Iowa members.
- Advocacy opportunities.
- Legislative updates related to the counseling profession.
- Emails and newsletters to keep you informed about what's going on in the counseling world.
How can ACA of Iowa benefit me?
Members of the American Counseling Association receive the benefits of ACA of Iowa for free! If you reside in Iowa and are a member of the American Counseling Association, you are automatically an ACA of Iowa member and pay no additional dues. As an ACA of Iowa member, you have access to free and unique networking and professional development opportunities. In addition, ACA of Iowa offers members a wide range of leadership roles.