ACA is now providing *eligible ACA student members with professional liability ("malpractice") insurance. ACA Student membership now includes liability insurance for those 'enrolled and engaged in a master's degree counseling curriculum at a post secondary institution'.
ACA is now providing *eligible ACA student members with professional liability (“malpractice”) insurance. That’s right; your ACA Student membership now includes liability insurance when you are *enrolled and engaged in a master’s degree counseling curriculum at a post secondary institution. Coverage is available to ACA student members solely while performing counseling services (e.g. practicum and internship) related to such curriculum.
Unfortunately, students enrolled in a bachelor degree program, doctoral degree program or other post master's program is not covered through this program.
In an effort to provide you with proof of your “Evidence of Insurance,” you must update your membership student program level status by logging on to the members-only section of the ACA website at counseling.org. Enter your username and password. Once logged in, select “Manage Membership,” then “Student Information (change),” and proceed to updating your student educational information; school name, graduation date and current program level (master’s, doctoral or other (unspecified). If you do not know your username and password, or if you wish to update your profile by phone, please contact ACA Member Services at 800-347-6647, ext. 222/703-823-9800, ext. 222 (M-F, 8 am – 7 pm, ET).
Distribution of the “Evidence of Insurance” will be mailed to you once your current program level has been updated.
PLEASE NOTE: Coverage of the insurance will terminate:
- If your ACA membership is terminated or expires: Your ACA membership expiration date is your policy expiration date. If you are currently a master’s level student, and your membership is due to expire in January or February, or you are currently enrolled or enroll in the three-month payment plan program, you must renew or pay your membership in full before receiving your “Evidence of Insurance.”
- You graduate from the master’s degree program, or
- The ACA master policy is non-renewed or cancelled.
The policy coverage is as follows:
- Professional Liability Coverage – *Eligible ACA student members are protected up to $1,000,000 for each claim, up to $3,000,000 annual aggregate subject to a master policy aggregate.
- Legal Defense and investigative costs- If *eligible ACA student members are named in a malpractice lawsuit, an experienced malpractice attorney will be provided, if necessary. Legal expenses incurred to settle covered claims will be paid - WIN or LOSE. This is in addition to the limits of liability.
*ACA Students who wish to continue insurance through HPSO after graduation or who become a licensed, certified or accredited professional, please apply online at www.hpso.com.This program is underwritten by American Casualty Company of Reading, Pennsylvania, a CNA company and is offered through the Healthcare Providers Service Organization Purchasing Group. All products and services may not be available in all states and may be subject to change without notice. This information is for illustrative purposes only and is not a contract. It is intended to provide a general overview of the products and services offered. Only the policy can provide the actual terms, coverages, amounts, conditions and exclusions. CNA is a service mark and trade name registered with the U.S.Patent and Trademark Office.
If you have additional questions regarding the program, click here or contact ACA Member Services toll free at 1-800-347-6647, ext. 222 or 703-823-9800, ext. 222.
Thank you for supporting ACA.