These podcasts—prerecorded interviews posted on the ACA website—can be downloaded to your computer so that you can listen to them at your convenience while at home or work. They also can be added to your iPod for use while taking a walk, on the treadmill, in the car, or whenever you have time.
Most podcasts offer opportunities to earn Continuing Education credits. If you are interested in earning CE credits click here
The podcasts can also be accessed by visiting: www.prolibraries.com/counseling
. Once you are on this page, click on “Online Courses”, and filter the search by clicking “Product Type” and selecting podcasts.
Member Price: $22.00
Non-Member Price: $32.00
HT045 - Ferry Boat Disaster in South Korea (with Korean translation)
Cirecie A. West-Olatunji, PhD, Eunhui Yoon
Cirecie A. West-Olatunji, PhD is associate professor and director of the Center for Traumatic Stress Research at the University of Cincinnati. She is also president of the American Counseling Association (ACA). Dr. West-Olatunji’s research projects focus on the relationship between traumatic stress and systemic oppression.
Eunhui Yoon is a doctoral candidate in the counselor education program at the University of Florida. Ms. Yoon is co-author of an article on, "culture centered perspective disaster counseling," published in the Journal of Asian Pacific Counseling (2013). Additionally, she facilitated a disaster counseling workshop (2011) for professional school counselors led by Dr. West-Olatunji that was held in post-Katrina New Orleans.
Among others, Rebecca Daniel-Burke, asks the following questions:
- How has the media's portrayal of the ferry accident affected the people of Korea?
- What problems did survivors have working for the ferry company?
- How have family relations been affected?
- Has anything positive come from the disaster and recovery?
- How did the survivors see their life changing from before the disaster to now?
- Tell us how the accident and other disasters (such as the BP oil spill and Hurricane Katrina) are alike? Different?
- How have Korean professional counselors responded to this current disaster?
- How might other children who have knowledge of the ferry disaster react to this crisis?
- Where are some resources for professional counselors and other mental health professionals who are working with affected children as well as adults?
- Where can parents/caregivers learn more about how to respond to disasters to aid their children in recovery?
Running time: 67:19
Speakers - Cirecie West-Olatunji email@example.com; Eunhui Yoon firstname.lastname@example.org
Host- Rebecca Daniel-Burke email@example.com
Traumatology Interest Network http://www.counseling.org/aca-community/aca-groups/interest-networks#Traumatology