Among other questions, Rebecca Daniel-Burke asks the speaker:
- Why did you decide to write a book about philosophical issues in counseling?
- The book contains personal material about the evolution of your thinking. This is unusual for a book on philosophy. Tell us about your personal journey and the reasons that you chose to include this material.
- Why is it important for counselors to consider philosophical issues?
- Your beginning chapter is about mental health culture. What do you mean by mental health culture and how did we arrive at our current culture?
- Your first question is “what does it mean to know a client?” - talk about this question and your conclusions.
- The second question, “what makes counseling effective?” seems like it would be very relevant to practitioners. So, what makes counseling effective?
- “Are truths discovered or created in the counseling relationship?” is your third question. This seems like an unusual question. Tell us about it.
- Last, you ask “should counselors abandon the idea of truth?” What do you mean by this?
- How might this book, which is about philosophical issues, be helpful to counseling practitioners?
- Do the conclusions you draw in this book inform your vision for the future of professional counseling? If so, how?
Speaker: James T. Hansen, PhD is the coordinator of Mental Health Specialization, an advanced program of study offered by the Department of Counseling at Oakland University. He has also developed an elective counseling course “Philosophical and Meta-Theoretical Issues in Counseling” based on his scholarly interest in philosophical issues in counseling. Dr. Hansen has published over 50 refereed articles in counseling journals and has over 25 years of experience as a clinician, supervisor, and consultant. His new book is titled: Philosophical Issues in Counseling and Psychotherapy: Encounters with Four Questions about Knowing, Effectiveness, and Truth.
Running Time: 55:15 minutes
Find on iTunes
To buy his book go to https://sites.google.com/site/philosophicalissuescounseling/