The Scholars-in-Residence program will offer two professionals an opportunity to gain practical experience in activities, special assignments, and/or research projects that support federal, state, and community-based programs, policies, and best practices in various counseling settings: Schools, Hospitals and Community Agencies.
Two Scholars-in-Residence will be selected annually using the following guidelines. Scholars will be compensated as stated below.
- The first position will be awarded to a practicing counselor.
- The second position will be awarded to a graduate student who has completed a minimum of 30 credit hours in a regionally accredited counseling degree program.
- Both interns will serve for one full year with the ACA Center for Counseling Practice, Policy, and Research.
- Both interns will work 10 hours per week.
Both interns will be provided a stipend: $10,000 for the practicing counselor and $7,500 for the graduate student.
Applications are now closed.
Directions: Provide a writing sample in the space provided below that focuses on one of the three following questions. Limit your writing sample to no more than 1,000 words.
- In a 1,000 word essay, discuss a current policy issue within the counseling profession. For example, employment and training paths and options; managed care provider panels; licensure and certification; graduate school field experience conditions; etc. In your essay, discuss the following:
- Pros and cons of the policy;
- Your own stance on the policy; and
- Different ways to address the policy.
- In a 1,000 word essay, discuss a time where you took on a leadership role and impacted your view of the counseling profession. For example, clinical practice guidelines; HIPAA compliance; software recommendations for treatment planning, case notes, and billing, etc. In your response, address the following questions:
1. Was the situation positive or negative?
2. How did you handle yourself within the leadership role?
3. What did you learn about yourself that is applicable to your role as a counselor?
- In a 1,000 word essay, discuss a cause that you feel the counseling profession should focus advocacy efforts towards. For example, TRICARE; mental health services for veterans; licensure portability; etc. In your essay, discuss the following questions:
- Why is the cause important?
- How can the profession advocate for it?
- What makes this cause worthy of advocacy for you?
Selections will be made during the month of November, 2014. Finalists will be interviewed during the month of November, and the final selection of the first two interns will be announced in December, 2014. Interns will begin their one-year experience with the ACA Center for Counseling Practice, Policy, and Research in January, 2015.
For more information, please contact the Center’s director, Will Stroble, at (800) 347-6647 x324 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.