The Scholars-in-Residence program will offer two professionals an opportunity to gain practical experience in activities, special assignments, and/or research projects that support federal, state, and community-based programs, policies, and best practices in various counseling settings: Schools, Hospitals and Community Agencies.
Two Scholars-in-Residence will be selected annually using the following guidelines. Scholars will be compensated as stated below.
- The first position will be awarded to a practicing counselor.
- The second position will be awarded to a graduate student who has completed a minimum of 30 credit hours in a regionally accredited counseling degree program.
- Both interns will serve for one full year with the ACA Center for Counseling Practice, Policy, and Research.
- Both interns will work 10 hours per week.
Both interns will be provided a stipend: $10,000 for the practicing counselor and $7,500 for the graduate student.
Applications are now closed.
Directions: Provide a writing sample in the space provided below that focuses on one of the three following questions. Limit your writing sample to no more than 1,000 words.
- In a 1,000 word essay, discuss a current policy issue within the counseling profession. For example, employment and training paths and options; managed care provider panels; licensure and certification; graduate school field experience conditions; etc. In your essay, discuss the following:
- Pros and cons of the policy;
- Your own stance on the policy; and
- Different ways to address the policy.
- In a 1,000 word essay, discuss a time where you took on a leadership role and impacted your view of the counseling profession. For example, clinical practice guidelines; HIPAA compliance; software recommendations for treatment planning, case notes, and billing, etc. In your response, address the following questions:
1. Was the situation positive or negative?
2. How did you handle yourself within the leadership role?
3. What did you learn about yourself that is applicable to your role as a counselor?
- In a 1,000 word essay, discuss a cause that you feel the counseling profession should focus advocacy efforts towards. For example, TRICARE; mental health services for veterans; licensure portability; etc. In your essay, discuss the following questions:
- Why is the cause important?
- How can the profession advocate for it?
- What makes this cause worthy of advocacy for you?
For more information, please contact Danielle Irving at (800) 347-6647 x211 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.