Tennessee School for the Blind is accepting applications for School Counselor
Certified K-12 (prefer Pre- K-12) with extensive knowledge and experience working with students who have disabilities. TSB anticipates an opening for a school counselor this summer. Applications are currently being accepted and will continue to be accepted until the positions is filled.
Broad Scope of School Counselor position
This position is responsible for promoting student success, providing preventive services, and responding to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive program that addresses academic, career, and personal/social development for all students.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct services through Guidance Curriculum, Individual Student Planning, Preventive, and Responsive Services.
- Schedules and facilitates IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meetings and monitors Easy IEP data system.
- Monitors and maintains student schedules and course credits.
- Provides Character Education classes/training for students and/or parents as needed.
- Provides Career Education classes/training for students and/or parents as needed.
- Supports and consults with instructional staff and parents.
- Assists in coordinating and implementing transitional activities as needed.
- Assists with assessments (ACT, TCAP, transition, etc.) as needed.
- Positively serves as a team member; participates in regular team, departmental, school, and instructional meetings as required.
- Provides parent consultation and participates in selected parent-focused activities.
- Participates in activities related to professional development and training/workshops as appropriate.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Minimum requirement: Bachelor degree in Education, Psychology, Sociology, or Social Work from an accredited college or university with a Maters’ degree in School Counseling from an accredited university.
- Must hold or be eligible to obtain appropriate educator licensure in the State of Tennessee.
- Willingness to supplement education with licensure as a teacher of the visually impaired.
- Experience working with students who have visual impairments and/or multiple impairments.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of special education principles, practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply current standards-based school counseling practices associated with students receiving special education services.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with students experiencing loss.
- Knowledge of Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) programs and implementations.
- Knowledge of and ability to access and apply technology to perform the requirements of the position; ability to effectively utilize a variety of computer software applications, which may include, but is not limited to email. Internet, word processing, electronic calendar, presentation development, spreadsheet, data base, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to work in the Easy IEP and Engrade student data information systems.
- Ability to be flexible, to work independently, and to be creative as needed to function in a challenging environment.
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to feedback.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and participate effectively in a team setting.
- Strong positive interpersonal skills.
Conditions of Employment
- Selected applicants must verify experience / highest degree held.
- Direct deposit of paycheck on a 12 month schedule is required.
- TSB is a non-smoking facility in its entirety.
- Selected applicant must comply with the State of Tennessee Employee Drug-Free Workplace Policy, and other policies.
- As required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), selected applicant must verify, within 72 hours of employment, his/her legal right to be employed in the United States.
- Selected applicant(s) will be required to submit to and pass a TBI/FBI background check, to include Tennessee and Federal criminal history checks, child abuse records, employment verification, and professional/personal reference checks.
How to Apply
Fully completed State of Tennessee Employment Application packets should be submitted
Dr. Martin R. Monson, Superintendent
Tennessee School for the Blind
115 Stewarts Ferry Pike
Nashville, TN 37214
Please DO NOT submit a State of Tennessee on-line application.
In addition to application please include the following items:
-Letter of Interest
-Recent Letters of Recommendation, with signature
-Copy of Educator Certification
-Unofficial Copies of All Transcripts
Candidates with disabilities who require special accommodations or alternative communication formats should contact the Superintendent’s Office at (615) 231-7316 no later than five days prior to their scheduled interview to facilitate reasonable accommodations.
The State of Tennessee is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Discrimination on the Basis of Age (Over 40), Race, Sex, Color, Religion, National Origin, Disabling Condition or any other Non-Merit Factor is Prohibited.